Tuesday, March 17, 2009

A Great Day In Hip-Hop



I woke up this morning not ready for the bombardment of delectable hip-hop music that was unleashed on to the internet today. It is a lot to take in, but after listening to as much as I could, I have this to report to you:

1. Asher Roth hopefully shut up many of his haters by finally dropping a track where he spits like he did on The Greenhouse Effect. "Lark On My Go-Kart" is the first track off of Asher's debut album, "Asleep in the Bread Aisle," and if this what he's got to begin his album, then I can't wait for it. With drums banging on your earlobes as soon as the song starts, Asher flows about about hitting on women, Wii fit, and Go-Karts on a fun track that shows how talented he is at using alliteration. Not much serious content here but it leaves you with no doubt the kid can spit. Just a chill track with a bit of bragging and some word play. Good to see it Ash...check it out here: http://www.hiphopdx.com/index/audio/id.7034/title.asher-roth-lark-on-my-go-kart

2. It was nice to see the resurfacing of B.O.B., who apparently now goes by the title of his actual name, Bobby Ray. After a prolonged hiatus due to apparent frustration at the music industry (Kid Cudi anyone?), Bobby Ray came back with two songs today. The first, "Mr. Bobby" (http://www.hiphopdx.com/index/audio/id.7033/title.b-o-b-aka-bobby-ray-mr-bobby), Bobby comes at us with a reggae flavored joint. Now, I must say, when I saw his interview on MTV about how he was back making music and just being "free," I was a bit worried. Video clips during the interview showed B.O.B singing over what appeared to be rock music played by his two accompanists, and that scared me. B.O.B. is an eccentric dude, and any direction he goes in would not surprise me. But the kid can spit, so when I heard him rhyming over the reggae beat I became much more relaxed. His second joint finds him on the mic with Nickel 9 and Canadian rapper Classified ( http://www.hiphopdx.com/index/audio/id.7041/title.classified-f-royce-da-59-b-o-b-they-call-this-hip-hop), and they all go in on the beat. Thank you for still rapping, Mr. Ray.

3. Crooked I gives us some lyrical fire with "I'm Still a MC," off his upcoming album "B.O.S.S." Rarely talked about besides the underground hip-hop scene, this Slaughterhouse member will soon show the hip-hop game what he is capable of.
http://www.hiphopdx.com/index/audio/id.7044/title.crooked-i-im-still-a-mc

4. Wale gave us a little taste of what is to come from his latest mixtape, "Back to the Feature," dropping April 29th and produced by 9th Wonder. Wale is and always will be crazy with the lyrics, but Curren$y definitely holds his own on this short, teaser of a track. Can't wait for the mixtape and the album Wale!
http://www.hiphopdx.com/index/audio/id.7047/title.wale-f-curren-y-tre-of-ucb-word-play

5. Wale assuring us that Kid Cudi is not retiring. If you ready my blog yesterday on the issue...did I not tell you this was coming?

6. Queen Latifah, yes, the Queen herself, one-upping Rhymefest on his own track? What? The chick that was in Taxi? See for yourself: http://www.hiphopdx.com/index/audio/id.7039/title.rhymefest-f-queen-latifah-goin-in

No response to “A Great Day In Hip-Hop”

Leave a Reply