Thursday, August 20, 2009

Same old Same old


If you are sitting on this site reading this, you probably already know Jordan and I's problem with the radio. Our whole message here at Rear View Shaking is to support hip-hop that doesn't follow the trend of emphasizing life's importance on sex, drugs, and all things material. Another trend that our blog tries not to follow is repetition and the radio's nature to overdo everything that hits the airwaves. I am here today to focus in on one particular artist: Drake. Unfortunately Drizzy has fallen victim to the radio's tendency to take perfectly good songs and ram them down your throat until you can't stand the thought of it any longer. This time it is the song "Best I Ever Had." Before the summer began, much time had passed since I downloaded So Far Gone. I already knew this song was hot before it came on the radio, and even told my friends that the girls would go crazy if they played it at parties or in their frat houses. If you looked at my itunes "Most Played" playlist, this song was atop the list, due to at least a couple plays everyday. Then, it hit the radio. Check my itunes now, and you would see that I have the exact same number of plays as I did the first time I heard Trey Da Choklit Jok play the song on Power 92. From that point on (even though I tried as much as possible not to listen to the radio) I heard "Best I Ever Had" side by side with "I Gotta Feeling" and "You're a Jerk" anywhere from 3-6 times a day. Naturally I never want to listen to this song anymore. This creates a Catch-22 of sorts. I am very happy that Drake is getting acknowledged and has blown up faster than you can say "I just wanna be successful." However, it sucks that I am already getting tired of hearing his songs. This is what the radio does though, whether the song is quality or not. I geuss this is the one fault of being so far ahead of the public. By the time the songs we like are on the radio, I have already been listening to it for months.

My next point focuses on Drake's future. We all know that signing with Young Money Records and becoming Lil' Wayne's protege is the greatest thing Drake could have done to further his career. The buzz surrounding Drake is like nothing I have ever seen, and he is popping up on features with everybody. But, is it really good for the talents that he is being praised for to begin with? The Drake I know displays the gift he has been given by showing technique and immaculate wording on tracks like "Congratulations," which is personally my favorite song of his. The Drake I hear on the radio raps about pussy, lesbians, and f*cking every girl he lays his eyes on. If he continues to pump out tracks like "Every Girl in the World," he can say goodbye to me as a fan. I just hopes this is not a foreshadowing of what is to come, and that he rises above the influences of popularity. Please Wayne, don't do this to him, I'm beggin' you.

Here is a new Drizzy song that has surfaced today. It's not his best work, but it's something to break the monotony from the radio.

DOWNLOAD: Drake - Killer Feat. Nipsey Hussle

No response to “Same old Same old”

Leave a Reply