Thursday, April 9, 2009

Please Sir...May I Have Another Album?

Today I realized I have taken an accidental break from previewing the upcoming hip-hop albums of 2009. I must have been too busy watching Kanye West becoming a Gay Fish. (South Park reference...if you don't understand it please watch last night's episode!)
With no further ado, I bring you three more albums you had better be playing in your Ford Focus this year.


Jay-Z-The Blueprint 3 (Unknown release date): It seems like many people, well maybe just Joe Budden, feel like Jay's flow has fallen off recently. Not feeling "new Jay," some hip-heads wish he would go back to his old self. I on the other hand feel completely the opposite. While his CD "Kingdom Come" may not have been his best work, he gave the world "American Gangster," a brilliant concept album based on Frank Lucas' life who Denzel Washington portrayed in the movie with the same name. Jay also dropped two songs, "History" that has been rumored to be on "The Blueprint 3" where we find Jay wondering what success is and questioning the legacy he is going to leave. Then, off of the Notorious B.I.G. soundtrack Jay gave us "Brooklyn Go Hard," where the megastar spits about growing up in the streets of Brooklyn and his pride for the city. Both songs, to me at least, are top notch lyrically. I cannot wait for the next installment of the Blueprint series.



The Roots-How I Got Over (June 2009): One of my favorite groups of all the time, The Roots are back with another album to follow the excellent "Rising Down" that dropped in early 2008. Saying that it is a celebratory album that talks about all the years of touring and work being done on the Jimmy Fallon Show, you know The Roots will not disappoint. I have been thirsty for some original Black Thought lyricism ever since "Rising Down" dropped. One of the most underrated MCs will once again get to prove his worth once June hits.



Wale-Attention:Deficit (June 2009)-June is shaping up to be an amazing month for music. Personally my most anticipated album of the year, my man Wale comes through with his debut album after dropping four mixtapes (with a fifth on the way this month) and plenty of guest spots since 2005. I first heard Wale on "Rising Up," the last song off of the previously mentioned Roots album, "Rising Down." Following Wale for over a year now, his talent with wordplay and ability to address issues makes him one of the best in the game, and I hope this album will be his "Illmatic." Although I was a bit disappointed with the single, "Chillin," just because I know Wale can come so much harder with the lyrics (still a damn catchy song), I know the rest of the album with be dope. If there is one new artist to check out this summer, make sure it is Wale.

Tony is coming through tonight with a review of MIMS news album, "Guilt," which dropped yesterday.

No response to “Please Sir...May I Have Another Album?”

Leave a Reply